For women in disadvantaged communities, a bra is often unobtainable or unaffordable.
D’Elegance supports the Uplift Project in collecting new and secondhand bras and sending them wherever requested by women’s groups.
Collection for Uplift Project Singapore is now
To volunteer for upcoming bra-sorting events and receive updates about the Uplift Project…
… please sign up for our mailing list below.
Where can i donate?
Our collection points are now closed. Please stay tuned for updates.
If you wish to send the donations directly overseas, here are the details:
ATTN: Juvelyn “Juvie” Lagamon-Jomen
MINDANAO POVERTY RELIEF ACTION
P4 Pandan, Brgy. 25, Gingoog City 9014 Misamis Oriental
Northern Mindanao, Philippines
What is the Uplift Project all about?
The Uplift Project started in 2005, collecting second-hand bras for Fiji, with help from Rotary Australia World Community Service.
In 2015, the Uplift Project became a registered charity in Australia, with branches across the country and in NZ, Singapore and Botswana.
So far, Uplift has sent over 1.5 million bras to 11 Asia Pacific countries, Botswana, Uganda, India and Pakistan.
Why donate bras?
Because all women appreciate the common dignity of a bra for business or social occasions.
1. Bras control breast swing when women bend to farm or cook at ground level.
2. In humid climates rashes, fungal infections and abscesses occur between the breast and the chest wall. Bras help by allowing air circulation.
3. Nursing mums everywhere leak, and bras allow the dignity of a dry shirt, and the comfort of support. Also, a thrush rash on a mother’s skin may spread to her baby’s mouth, and then back into the breast itself.
4. School girls from PNG, Fiji and Solomon Islands have reported wearing 2 or 3 t-shirts under their school uniforms to disguise breasts, despite the heat. A girl without underpants does not go to school during her menstrual period.
What do we need?
We need underwear, shipping funds and volunteers to help with sorting the bras.
- Bras – Size 30-40 inches / 80-100cm, A-DD cup in good condition, including crop top styles.
- Bras – Size 42+ inches / 105+ cm 18+, A-DD cup in good condition, including crop top styles.
- Nursing bras including crop tops. ANY condition will do. If it will catch a leak it is better than nothing, which is the alternative.
- E cup plus, ANY size. Likely to be the only properly fitting bras that a woman gets in her life.
- Mastectomy Bras and Breast Forms (prostheses). Like gold. A mastectomy bra offers privacy about the problem. If possible please send the box with the breast form/prosthesis, and put the relevant bras under the plastic mould, in the bottom of the box. These will be given to hospitals for distribution. If sending bras only, without breast forms/prostheses, please put a note in the bag/postpack so we don’t miss-sort them.
- New underpants. In some places a girl without underpants does not go to school during her period.
- Please don’t send bedroom lingerie, bodysuits, torsolettes, shapewear, U-bras, thongs, g-strings, used/stained panties or damaged bras.
2. Shipping Funds
Uplift Project also accepts cash donations which will help to fund trucking, shipping, customs charges and fumigation. Donations are, however, not tax deductible at the present time.
To make a cash donation, please go here: GIVEasia – Uplift Project – Providing bras to women in need
3. VolunteersFrom time to time, the Uplift Project needs volunteers to help with bra sorting, delivery, and fundraising.
If you are able to help in any way, please sign up for our mailing list to receive updates.